Interview of Dr. Anwar Shaikh_An enthusiastic teacher in pharmacy profession

We recently had the pleasure to interview Dr. Anwar Shaikh, a multi-faceted and multi-talented professional working within pharma academia. Dr. Anwar is in pharmacy academia and is involved in animation based teaching specifically in the chemistry domain. 

During this short interaction, he provided us information about various activities he is involved in the innovative teaching methodologies in the pharmacy profession. He spoke specifically about ‘PharmaCareer’ mobile app developed by him for the students in the pharmaceutical arena.



















·     Hello Dr. Anwar. First of all congratulations on the launch of the ‘PharmaCareer’ mobile application.  Before moving ahead for the information related to mobile app, would you please brief our readers with yourself?  Your educational background and your college days?

Thanks a lot, My Self Dr. Anwar Rafique Shaikh, I have completed Ph.D in Pharmaceutical Chemistry from M. S. University Vaodara, I have industrial and academics experience of 14 years. My research areas are synthetic and computer aided drug design.

·         Where are you working currently? Tell us more about your institute.

Presently, I am working as Professor and HOD, Dept. of Pharm. Chemistry at Allana College of Pharmacy, Pune. I am approved research guide for M.Pharm. as well as Ph.D guide (Pharm. Chem. And Quality Assurance Techniques).

·         As an academician, what do you think about pharmacy profession?

I believe that today is the era of information technology and being responsible teacher we should use the latest IT tools as effect methods for teaching learning process.

·         What are your interests beyond academics as in your hobbies?

Nice question. My hobbies included learning various IT tools. Since my graduation during 1996 I used to create some animations on Microsoft PowerPoint. That time advanced 2D/3D animation software were not well known so I used to animated alphabets, figures etc in power point itself. Creating auto calculation formulae in excel and then applying them to various pharmaceutical calculation etc.

·         How did the idea of a mobile application generate?

One day, one of my teachers told me that If you want to enjoy with your profession utilise hobbies into your profession and see the difference. You will come out something unique and will be known for your activities. I observed that more then 80% students are using smart phones. And the use of mobile now days is maximum for social networking (WhatsApp, facebook, games, various mobile apps). So I started working on developing a mobile application which could divert the interest on students towards education.  

·    Can you take us through the journey of the development of the app?  The challenges involved and anything which you feel is worth sharing?
As, I was interested in learning IT tools I started searching on “how to develop a mobile application” online. Initially I found some difficulties, but later on I successfully developed an very small application named “organic chemistry”. My colleagues suggested me to develop mobile app for pharma profession which must include every information needed by the student, academician, research scientist, person from industry etc. so I started working on Pharmacareer.   

·         Who are the key people involved in the activity?

Regarding the development, update part of app I only do the same. But I am getting a lot of suggestions to be incorporated in the app from staff, students which I incorporate in the app time to time. I think all well-wishers are the key people in my activities.

· We have already published about your app on our blog, http://pharmaliterati.blogspot.in/2015/06/pharmacareermobile-app-for-students.html. However, can you elaborate on some of the key features of the application?

Pharmacareer mobile app is not only a mobile app. You can consider it as a guiding tool. It consists of various sections viz.
PLACEMENTS: here you will find daily updates on various jobs (Government/Private/academics/Industrial) etc. You can directly visit to website of UPSC/MPSC/Employment News/Sarkari Naukari. From this section.
ONLINE LECTURES: This section contains free animated lectures on various topics/subjects.
GPAT/NIPER: Under this section various online practice tests are conducted not only for GPAT and NIPER but also for MPSC-Drug Inspectors/other competitive examinations.
RESEARCH: The user can access Online research articles (abstracts or full text if available) at Science Direct, American Chemical Society, Taylor Francis etc.
PATENT SERACH: US patents, Indian Patens, European Patens can be search under this section either by patent number or title or inventor name.
WORLDWIDE UNIVERSITIES: A total 9330 universities of WORLD can be searched from this section. Users have to browse the country and all universities of the country will be alphabetically available. Suppose I wish to search Savitribai Phule Pune University, I will pharmacareer app in my mobile. Then I will click on “worldwide universities” section, under that I will browse “India” and then alphabetically “S”. Notifications regarding admission, exams, etc will be available to me immediately. 
There are many more sections which include: ADMISSIONS, RESULTS, PHARM NEWS, EXAMINATIONS, CURRENT AFFAIRS, SEMINARS, and MOBILE LIBRARY ETC.
Try to install it from play store and have a look.

·         What do you think is the USP (Unique selling proposition) for the app?
It is one in all mobile app. Available freely on play store. The features I have explained above themselves makes it a unique app. 

·         What are your future plans with respect to the app and any other similar activities?

I am developing another mobile app EasyChem”. It’s my observations that students have fear about the subject of chemistry. They find the subject very difficult. I am putting efforts in the app to make the subject easiest for them. The app will include various learning tools for chemistry. And I am sure the app will be very very useful for them.
                                                                                                       
Recently I have launched a new concept in animation “CHEMTOONS” under this concept I am preparing various self-explanatory animated videos on various concepts of chemistry. My future plan is to animate complete syllabus (each and every minor/major part) of chemistry in animations and cartoons. That’s why it is “CHEMTOONS”. And I think this is the first concept not observed before. All uploaded videos are available on my youtube channel with a link www.youtube.com/dranawarr.

·    What accolades have you received for the mobile app from various corners of academia, industry, government or any private bodies?

I launched “pharmacareer” in Oct. 2014 and it has crossed 40,000 installs which itself is a reward, recently my YouTube channel crossed 57000 viewers and 600 subscriptions. I used to get various encouraging comments from users is the only accolade for me. 

I am very grateful to the Pharma literati team for considering me for the interview. I will add few lines about Pharma Literati blog; I always visit the updates on the blog which are very informative. I have added a section of Pharma Literati in Pharmacareer app as well. Best wishes to Team Pharma Literati. 

Comments

  1. Thank you sir for your all effort which you are doing for pharmacy students and also for towards latest education system, as the student of him its my pleasure that I worked under Dr.Anwar shaik sir, Thank you very much sir,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ziya. Its need of the day. You are one of my best students. Keep doing the best for the profession. All the Best.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

China-India joint summit discusses bilateral trade to improve pharma industry

Webinar on ‘OPPORTUNITY TO COMMERCIALIZE HERBAL RESEARCH’